Last Friday my American Baby’s 'Baby Weight Diet Plan' lunch called for an Amy's Black Bean Vegetable Burrito. Although they are quick, tasty and nutritious I thought - why don't I just make a big batch, freeze them and have my own? - so naturally, that is just what I did!
The result? 'Carly's Black Bean Veggie Burritos' lol
The fresh ones were SOOOO good!
and when re-heated from frozen today they were surprisingly JUST as good!
As for ingredients, you really can't go wrong.
I just used what I had in the fridge; some fresh, some leftovers...
- Olive oil
- 1 Green Pepper, chopped
- 1 Red Pepper, chopped
- 1.5 Tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 roasted eggplant (which I had leftover from this recipe)
- Black beans
- White kidney beans (leftover from this recipe)
- Brown basmati rice (leftover from this recipe)
- Broccoli, steamed and chopped
- Taco Seasoning (see below for recipe)
- Nanami Togarashi (assorted chili pepper), this is my go to secret spice when I want to add a little kick to any recipe, it is a traditional Japanese mixed spice but I use it in pretty much anything it is REALLY good it is made up of: chili pepper, orange peel, black sesame, white sesame, ginger, Japanese pepper, and seaweed.
After heating a few turns of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat, I added the filling ingredients (in order from 'firmest' to 'softest')
I then laid about 1/2 a cup of the filling on a large whole wheat tortilla along with some 0% fat greek yogurt, homemade guacamole (avocado, lime juice, salsa and salt), salsa and a sprinkle of light shredded mozzarella.
This is what it looked like today when I heated up the frozen one (I didn't put the Greek yogurt or salsa in them before freezing to avoid soggy-ness - instead just topped it with today - delicious!!)
Over the past several months I have started to make my own seasoning mixes, I find not only is it healthier than most of the store bought varieties but it's cheaper and tastes better too!
Here is the recipe for the taco seasoning I keep on hand:
Homemade Taco Seasoning
source: Smells Like Home
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 to 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 3 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper