Oh how I LOVE Pinterest.
Such inspiration for recipes (and pretty much everything else you can think of)
On Saturday I decided to try out this recipe that I had come across.
With a few modifications of my own; I came up with an AMAZING Vegetarian Philly Cheese “Steak” Sandwich.
Here is the recipe:
- Slow Cooker Tofu “Steak” (See Recipe below)
- 6 Sausage Buns
- Garlic Avocado Aioli (See Recipe below)
- Shredded Cheddar & Mozzarella Cheese
I wanted to make this as ‘no a/c - summer kitchen friendly’ as possible lol
Meaning, I didn’t want to use my oven or stove…
So instead I used my slow cooker & BBQ!
To begin I prepared the tofu “steak”:
Slow Cooker Tofu “Steak”
- 1 package of extra-firm tofu (drained and pressed to get rid of as much liquid as possible)
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 3 large mushrooms, sliced
- ½ onion, sliced
For marinade/sauce, I used a combination of things I had in my pantry/fridge but these are the basic ingredients from the original recipe which I think would work great as well:
- 2 medium green onions, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons agave nectar
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- Slice tofu into 1” strips and layer on bottom of slow cooker
- Cover with peppers, mushrooms & onions
- Pour sauce overtop (I happened to have a bottle of “Honey Brown Lager Shmeer” in my pantry, it was a gift (from my Dad I think) and is a beer-based grilling sauce. Since we don’t eat meat I hadn’t used it but it worked PERFECTLY for this recipe! I used one bottle, plus I added a little of all of the above sauce ingredients (except for the onion & agave).
- Cook on low heat for about 5.5-6 hrs.
Garlic Avocado Aioli
- 1 medium avocado
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Slice the avocado and remove the skin and the pit
- Place the avocado in a small bowl and add the mayo, garlic and salt
- Stir until everything is well combined
Now to prepare the sandwiches!
Using a slotted spoon I removed the tofu & veggies from the slow cooker and set aside (on separate plates)
- Pre-heat BBQ to medium heat
- Tear off six pieces of aluminum foil and have them ready to place your sandwiches on
- Place one bun on each strip of aluminum foil
- Spread both sides of each bun with the Garlic Avocado Aioli
- Now add several prepared Tofu Philly “Steak” slices to each bun and top with veggies and cheese
- Wrap the sandwiches in the foil and place them on the BBQ for about 10 minutes or so
Let cool and ENJOY!